Thursday, October 18, 2007

Midnight Hot Without Clothes

Minutes: terrorist or armed combatants?

Day 3 at the trial in Brussels of Belgian industry delivery, financing and recruitment of armed fighters in Iraq and the trial was marked by the appearance today the alleged leader of the group: Bilal Sough. The character, alone among the defendants in custody in the prison of Saint-Gilles, landed at the hearing covered with a black cap, a brown jacket and a little unshaven beard. The dark eyes set off a certain charm that this young man speaking perfect French, a Belgian of Tunisian origin who was born in Algeria and educated in Brussels, will celebrate its 34 years on November 21.

session begins, the federal prosecutor accused of continuing education Youness Loukili pointing out the contradictions between the defendant and his counsel: "While Mr. Loukili said he had never set foot in Iraq, his counsel argued to the press stating that the accused should be considered a combatant and non- as a terrorist. " Responding in part to the duties of investigation requested by Master Merchant, the prosecutor believes that the facts alleged in this case are " works of individuals to impose a regime without commitment to establishing democratic values " and that we should therefore not considered stakeholders engaged as combatants in an armed conflict but as terrorists.

The legal question raised by Mr. Christophe Marchand remains relevant because if the client is considered by the court as " combatant in armed conflict ", the Law on terrorist offenses will no longer apply this issue. By referring to "individuals works," the federal prosecutor just wants to push the court to enforce the new legislation against terrorism offenses to the different defendants and therefore asks the president to declare unfounded additional duties required by the lawyer of Loukili .

Speaking, Ms. Marchand criticize "the federal prosecutor's silence" on a series of legal questions he submitted. "Silence on the Article 6.3 of the ECHR about an effective and practical defense, silence on the report of the commission in the United States to know what actually happened with Muriel Degauque and her husband Issam Goris in Iraq because everything revolves around the interpretation arising from these facts that the prosecutor pretends to ignore. Indeed, Assuming the prosecutor about a jihadist network is based precisely on the facts in Iraq and therefore any action thereafter will necessarily be considered a terrorist. I think you have to a difference between a bomb in a market full of civilians and an attack against combatants in armed conflict as part of a regular . Finally, counsel's silence regarding the article 141 bis of the Penal Code on whether or not what is actually in Iraq as an internal armed conflict and international or multiple daily acts of violence are perpetrated. Humanitarian law does makes no difference and just merely notes the existence of an armed conflict to implement IHL. The question is whether the combatants are a jihadist army, carry weapons and uniforms with ranks. I note, Mr. Chairman, that after the Second World War, supporters were also considered combatants after the war , "recalled the lawyer. Buria While Nadia, a reporter for RTL-TVI , questions during the break Master Dealer, I ask briefly Youness Loukili respond to the arguments by its board. " You consider yourself a fighter? " The amused smile, the person will answer me ... he "does not meet issues. The court will take the matter under advisement for a decision expected by the end of the day.

At its first appearance, Sough Bilal will essentially questioned his stay in Syria. " Yes, I am visited Syria in late January 2005 when I was to meet Loukili but I did not happen. I am a very good friend and I Loukili been advised of his health problems by his ex-wife in Belgium. She asked if I could go to Syria in its place but once arrived at the address provided, there was nobody there. I have had no contact with either Loukili, nor with his wife in Syria after his accident. For a month there, I searched the surroundings, hospitals and police stations but I had no answer , "said Bilal Sough flanked by two policemen who mounted his charge. The chairman reminded the court documents seized during a search of his home where they found two airplane tickets purchased by Bilal on 03/05/2005 Sough, one to his name with destinations Damascus-Milan-Tunis and the other on behalf of Loukili for the same date for Damascus, Milan, Casablanca. " I correct what I said earlier, I returned from Syria in Brussels, not directly but calling in Milan. It's true that I bought two tickets to Tunis and Morocco but c is probably because I had no choice to the travel agency . Loukili I have not met nor Syria, nor the plane to Milan, but I actually bought a ticket to his name as a precaution in case he would reappear ". The President returned back to these many contradictions in caring ironically questionable business practices of Syrian travel agencies: buy a ticket Damascus Tunis down in Milan with the original intention of coming to Brussels. It is not as serious argument. " I changed my mind on the plane down at the airport in Milan " Bilal reply Sough not really convince the president. Buy a ticket for his friend Loukili found on site in Syria to Morocco? " Yes, if it reappear, I told myself that it was better for him to leave Morocco and come back in Belgium because of his accident . Otherwise, arrived in Belgium, he would have asked for things about the circumstances of his accident. "Circumstances remain mysterious at this stage of the trial.

little break and the hearing resumed at 10:15 am at the opening where the lawyer's request to meet Loukili in chambers. The interview, held secret, will last until 10:21 when the court will end the day to deliberate on the legal issues raised by one of the lawyers of the accused. Armed combatants or terrorist jihadists? The court will decide to learn to apply the law ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment